Author House

Author House
Purchase Here

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Trial and Error = Frustration



Sierra visited many specialized doctors for intensive hearing and eye tests.  But after thousands of dollars and lots of frustration nothing seemed to be working.  We tried bifocals at the 1st grade level then really expensive Prism rainbow glasses.  Neither worked.  The hearing tests revealed she was ultra sensitive and technically hears EVERYTHING, meaning, things such as being in an open classroom were huge distractions.  She would hear the teachers speaking in the hall or next door or the toilets flushing in the nearby bathrooms and all were reasons not to pay attention.  

My daughter hated school and reading  books.  She looked for every excuse not to have to go to school.  She was sad because her friends were excelling and she was trailing further behind each day.  I am not sure what her early teachers really thought but they would send all the daily work home.  After an entire day of frustration she had to come home and finish the centers she skipped during that day.  We moved through Kindergarten and First grade and she still could not read.   Sierra had a great mind because she could  memorize so well.  It took us a little while to catch her tricking us into thinking she was reading.  "Read it out loud, mama", and so I did.  It only took one time and she had it memorized.  She was in the Second grade and I had hit my own personal limit.  I knew we were not getting to the root of her problem.  Her perseverance and patience with this frustrating situation is note worthy.  She had to wait and wait until we could figure this out.  

2 comments:

  1. I am just reading through some of your posts and can relate to your struggles. My son, who is now 22 years old, is dyslexic. Getting him through school was alot of work and alot of money. He has recently graduated from Landmark College in Putney, VT and he graduated Summa Cum Laude. I am so proud of him. His struggles are not over, but he is well on his way. I wish I had started a blog when he was little so that I could have posted all of our challenges particularly with the school district. But blogging wasn't really heard of back then. Please continue posting, will love to keep updated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I would love to learn more about your experiences. So pleased to hear about your son's wonderful accomplishments!

      Delete